I read a lot and everyone gave great recommendations in this post. To give you an example of some of the books I've been reading, here is my amazon order history for the past few months.
- When the Air Hits Your Brain
- Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche
- Turbulent Skies: The History of Commercial Aviation (Sloan Technology Series)
- The Spy Who Came In from the Cold
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2nd edition
- Visual & Statistical Thinking: Displays of Evidence for Decision Making
- Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong
- Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports
- Dishwasher: One Man's Quest to Wash Dishes in All Fifty States (P.S.)
- The Juice: The Real Story of Baseball's Drug Problems
- The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex Situations
- The Systems Bible: The Beginner's Guide to Systems Large and Small
- A Foxfire Christmas: Appalachian Memories and Traditions
- The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery
- Foxfire 2: Ghost Stories, Spring Wild Plant Foods, Spinning and Weaving, Midwifing, Burial Customs, Corn Shuckin's, Wagon Making and More Affairs of P
- The Foxfire 40th Anniversary Book: Faith, Family, and the Land (Foxfire)
- Foxfire 3 (Foxfire)
- Foxfire 4 (Foxfire)
- The Foxfire Book: Hog Dressing, Log Cabin Building, Mountain Crafts and Foods, Planting by the Signs, Snake Lore, Hunting Tales, Faith Healing, Moonsh
- First, Do No Harm
- Intensive Care: A Doctor's Journal
- Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
- Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science
- The Times Winning Moves (Everyman Chess)
- Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos
- Penny Arcade Volume 3: The Warsun Prophecies
- Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
- The New York Times Will Shortz's Funniest Crossword Puzzles: From the Pages of the New York Times
- On Bullshit
- The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old-Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
The Foxfire books are awesome, by the way. I am not sure why I have been reading so many books on Appalachian living or medicine.
If you have any book recommendations please comment. Unless I have read the book, I'll buy it and read it.
I've also been listening to a lot of good music:
- Daniel Johnston (Songs Of Pain, Yip/Jump Music)
- The Old Crow Medicine Show (OCMS)
- Billy Bragg & Wilco (in particular, Mermaid Avenue)
- The Old Ceremony (Our One Mistake)
- Dean & Britta
- Frank Morey
- Ramblin' Jack Elliot
Beyond media, I've been playing chess in the Paramount & Weaver Adams tournaments at the Boylston Chess Club, and playing blitz in Harvard Square on nice days. I'm taking a bicycle repair course at Broadway Bicycle, I got my motorcycle license last weekend (with Todd & Gib), and I have a new job – well, new as of four months ago.
I now work at ITA Software, on the Res project.
The culture is amazing, and it is the smartest group of people I have been around since Computer Science House. If you are in the computer industry in some fashion you should get in touch with me, because we are hiring lots of people.
My relationship with Kelly ended a month ago and frankly it sucks. It was a very adult, all for the right reasons mutual break-up but in a way that is worse then a fight or someone cheating on someone else or anything you could get good and angry about. Now I'm pretty much lonely and depressed (hence all the hobbies and whatnot I've been using to fill up the after-work hours). I'm pretty sure we broke up for all the right reasons but fuck it hurts.